On Sep 10, 2008, at 8:13 AM, Mike Conley wrote:

> Then, once I do that, the script runs fine, but BBEdit just sits there
> until I actually click on a menu; then the new window suddenly
> appears. Not sure what's going on there, but it's already sounding
> suboptimal.

I'm not a GUI scripting expert. (Actually, I'm the polar opposite — I
don't use it.)

But I just turned it on, and this script works for me, without any
additional delays or hackery, when I invoke it from BBEdit's script
menu, or the system-wide script menu.

tell application "BBEdit"
        activate
end tell

tell application "System Events"
        tell process "BBEdit"
                click menu item "Open in Additional Window" of menu "View" of
menu
bar 1
        end tell
end tell

> It was a nice idea, though. Anyone from BB able to say whether this is
> feasible? Or should I file a report regarding the scriptability of
> Open in Additional Window?

I don't think there is currently a good way to hack this through
AppleScript.

I agree that it would be nice to have a first class way to do this
from the scripting interface. I've logged a feature request.

Jim