Jack,

I have a similar work flow of working locally and then saving to off-site.
(In between I use BBEdit's subversion, but that's not your issue here.)

When I save to off-site, I almost _always_ use "Save a copy to FTP/SFTP...".
For me, that's Control-option-command-S. On occasion, I have simply saved to
FTP/SFTP control-command-S. What happens is that now the current file is the
one that's on the server. Subsequent saves are to the server, not locally.

It happened to me more than once and everyone knows how careful I am, it
could happen to you.

Best wishes,
Bucky