On 31 Mar 2009, at 05:55, Jack Stewart wrote:

> I use manual version management which is a lot of work. I want to
> add a more automated version management in order to have a more
> rigorous process but have not learned enough about alternative
> systems yet to figure which one I want to adopt. I am attracted to
> CVS but, as I said, haven't learned enough of the pros and cons to
> make an intelligent choice.

Just my opinion...

Subversion is excellent. BBEdit has inbuilt support for it.

The command line interface can be a little daunting to begin with. I
have found Versions  to be a very good GUI based way of managing
subversion.

http://www.versionsapp.com/

Reading chapters 1 and 2 of the svn book should be enough to get you
up and running.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Regards,
Carlton