Thanks, all, for the flood of helpfulness! I didn't know about the CMD
+ LEFT / OPTION + RIGHT trick. Would definitely be simpler to just
emulate those two keypresses and bind them to my HOME key. There is
another level of complexity that I'd like to eventually add, which is
supported by the Windows editors:

Firstly, the key has two functions. Pressed the first time, it goes to
the "smarter" beginning of the line (insertion point before first non-
whitespace character), but pressed a second time, it will jump to the
start of the line as normal. Pressed again, back to the "smart" start
of line, and so on. I don't think that'll be that tricky though, as
I'd just have to put a conditional for the current location of the
insertion point; if it's already at the smart location, go to column
0. Otherwise, go to the smart location.

The next one is not so simple, I don't think? SHIFT + HOME will select
to the beginning of the line (minus the leading whitespace). A second
press of SHIFT + HOME will extend the selection to the beginning of
the line, with whitespace. And again, a third press would deselect the
leading whitespace, and so on. Maybe this is easier than I'm guessing,
depending on how selections are made with AppleScript.

I'll tinker around! Some solutions have already been posted, and
they're helpful starts for sure. I'm surprised this functionality
isn't an option in BBEdit already... Does every just use the two-key
method to get to the first character of the line, or does it just not
come up? Maybe I wouldn't miss it so much if I'd never had it in the
first place. Haha.

Thanks again!