Um, no.  They are just backup files, it stores the last state.  As
someone else mentioned, it's pretty standard practice for most
editors, though different ones use different file name munging.

If you're looking for doing some SCM locally to store revisions, you
should check out Git.  No server required.  Just install the tools,
`git init` in the directory you're interested in and add your changes.
http://git-scm.com/

- Steve