On 4 May 2011, at 12:13 PM, Robert Huttinger wrote:

> thanks for the heads up (hijacking my own thread) I cant use git because it
> is public, and I cant get boss to spring for private.

You are mistaken. The commonly-used GitHub repository farm is open unless you
pay for it, but GitHub is no more all-of-Git than GMail is all-of-email. It's
just one provider of one solution.

Git can be used with no server at all, just in your own project directory. Or
it can be used with an SSH connection to an account on another machine (which
need only have Git installed, and not have to run a specific Git server).
Preferably both, because the full repository is duplicated wherever it is
stored or used. You can get huge benefits from Git for zero dollars.

See chapters 1 and 2 of "Pro Git" by Scott Chacon. The full text is available
for free from <http://progit.org/book/>.

        — F