Am 11.08.2011 um 04:01 schrieb oliver:
> ...and clippings (which can also contain scripts - though I've never found a
> great example of how this works).

Here is a simple but nice example. I use this to insert the URL from Safari's
front window as an HTML link.

I have a clipping "Insert Safari URL" (in Universal Items) that contains only
one line.

The Applescript itself is much more complicated - it contains two lines ;-)

tell application "Safari" to set the_url to URL of front document
return the_url

I saved this script in the same folder the clipping is in. Of course it must be
named "get_safari_url.scpt" to match the clipping's text.

So, whenever I need a link to the currently open Safari page, I simply select
the text I want to turn into a link and invoke the clipping.

This is a quick and dirty solution and might fail under certain circumstances
but it works fine for me. To connect this example to the topic of the thread: I
like BBEdit because I consider it a successful balance of powerful features,
flexibility and accessibility (in the sense of "I have a good feeling for what
the editor is capable of and don't have to be a black belt ninja coder to
conjure functionality by some kind of magic finger dances on my keyboard").

happy clipping,
Roland