On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM, gdape <sean.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> when I undo then redo it puts the cursor in the next position so I
> always can't see what I have redone. To clarify, if I
> 1. edit the top of a document then
> 2. scroll down and click at the bottom of the document, not making any
> change, then
> 3. undo, and redo,
> the cursor appears at the bottom of the document. But I haven't redone
> anything at the bottom, only clicked there.
>
> I do a lot of undo/redos so this is a constant irritation, when I want
> to continue from the last edited point, I have to check the line
> number then scroll back. Surely a redo should not include the next
> clicked cursor position after the redo but only the redo itself. As it
> is I can't see what the redo is. Maybe a preference would be 'redo
> cursor position: current edit / clicked location'

I have had this same thought for a long time now, and I too do the
"memorize line number, then jump to it to try to discern what was
re-done or undone.  A compromise might be to move the cursor position,
but not the view position until/unless the cursor is moved by user
input (e.g., pressing an arrow key or typing a character).

-John