On Aug 17, 2012, at 1:16 PM, Jim Sheffer wrote:

> I took some advice and downloaded "Synalyze" to check the file in Hex format.
>  Having been over ten years since opening a file in Hex mode (and even then
> not knowing what I was doing!) I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I
> was able to figure out how to do a search and understand the results (Thanks
> to Patrick for the in-depth "mini-tutorial" on what to look for!).

I suspect Patrick's mini-tutorial was created using the Hex Dump utility within
BBedit. Synalyze is nice but not necessary.

> As strange as it sounds (and I don't have a clue yet as to how), the file was
> getting "changed" when either sent via email or opened on their end.  They
> were indeed seeing duplicate carriage returns on their end (Even in a Hex
> editor) where on my end they were not there!  Go figure!

How are you sending the file from here to there? Email attachment? Zipped email
attachment?

Most zip utilities provide means for munging line endings. If for some reason
one was used which automatically did what it thought was best then perhaps it
wasn't best.

If MIME types were used in email that indicated a text file originated from Mac
then once again auto manglers may have been invoked. Sometimes filename
extensions can invoke this behavior.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dke...@hiwaay.net