On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Neil Faiman <neil.goo...@faiman.org> wrote:
> Even better, yje persistent include doesn't have to be plain HTML -- it can
> be a script (shell script, AppleScript, Perl, Ruby, or Python) that will
> *generate* the included HTML.

This is a little off-topic, but that brings up something I've been
wondering about. I use scripted clientside includes with BBEdit 9.6.3
running in Snow Leopard. However, the scripting language is JavaScript
-- not mentioned in your list above. This relies on the ancient JS/OSA
library from Late Night Software that AFAIK they abandoned years ago
-- but it still works for me. (Very awkward to edit, however, since
the version of AppleScript Editor I have, which is needed to compile
the scripts, barely works with JS anymore.)

Anyway, my question: If I were to upgrade to the latest version of
BBEdit, would the LNS library and my JS includes still work? How about
if I moved to Mountain Lion? (The latter is unlikely, since I prefer
Snow Leopard, but I'm still curious.) If my JS includes are totally
orphaned (i.e. prevent me from ever upgrading BBEdit again) then I've
been thinking about transmogrifying them into PHP server-side
includes, but that would be a bit of work since my PHP skills are a
lot weaker than my JS skills.