I usually abstain from these things, but I'm a little bored, so why not...

On Mar 18, 2013, at 11:27 AM, David Foster <davidf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sublime Text and TextMate have all but supplanted BBEdit in terms of
> mindshare in the circles that I travel in.

I would agree with that. There are a thousand reasons, but it ultimately comes
down to the fact that bare bones has a vision for what BBEdit should be, and
it's not anything like TextMate or Sublime, or any of their clones. The people
on this list use BBEdit for their own reasons - and I would agree that those
reasons are slowly being thinned down, but they are far from gone. Nothing else
matches BBEdit's support, documentation, and ease of use - but not everyone
priorities these things, a lot of people want (or think they want) raw power
and flexibility - something TextMate and Sublime put front and center.

> However BBEdit is an extremely capable editor and it bothers me that new Mac
> users are either not finding it or not selecting it. More competition is
> better.

BBEdit has a widely-known reputation as an extremely stable and powerful
editor. Perhaps for some people this doesn't matter as much as other things...

> ** Highly recommend adding videos for feature highlights and tutorials.
> People don't seem to read long bodies of copy these days.

I agree with this. Bare Bone's website is decidedly old-school. I'd love to see
someone like brett terpstra show-off how cool BBEdit is in some screencasts. I
also think Bare Bones could to more to collect community-written packages (etc)
that extend BBEdit in great ways - but this is a challenge all editors face.

> * Improve program aesthetics
> ** Good job with the retina display support, but there is still more work to
> do...

I completely disagree. BBEdit is in a class by itself in this regard. While it
may not be as flashy as something like Coda or Espresso, the consistency of the
interface is peerless and delicate considerations abound. Take for example how
far the first line of text is from the top of the window. Almost every editor
I've ever used crams that first line up against the edge of the window, only
BBEdit pads it by a few pixels. Or the subtle 1px borders on the line-highlight
- it's beautiful! Also consider the dialogue boxes, each is very fell
thought-out and easy to understand - I've never come across an unintelligible
alert while using BBEdit.

> ** Incremental find

I completely agree with this one. Incremental find that's good enough, and
quick enough to use, for skipping around lighting-fast inside a paragraph is
something I sorely miss from other editors. I've written my own scripts for
this, but a built-in solution would be better.

> ** The language-specific text snippets built-in to TextMate are quite useful.
> It is possible to create custom scripts in BBEdit that have similar
> functionality, but it is clumsy.

I agree that more could be done there. BBEdit has clipping sets that change
based on the language of the front-document, why not scripts or text filters?
Binding something simple like <return> to different scripts based on language
makes the editor feel better - the editor does the right thing regardless of
the language.

In particular I'm disappointed that text filters act on the selection or the
entire document, more fine-grained control over what the filter should apply to
when there is no selection would be nice.

What makes TextMate (and clones like Sublime) so powerful and flexible is the
user-accessable document-scoping system. This allows the same keybinding to
behave in radically different ways depending on the language and the exact
position of the insertion point in the document. In my opinion this is
obviously the way all text editors should behave, and anything else will
eventually be outdated. But for now I get along just fine in BBEdit.

> *** Naturally making BBEdit cross-platform would likely be very
> development-intensive.

Hahaha, "development intensive", that's good.