Hey Oliver,

On Mar 19, 2013, at 23:06, Oliver Taylor <olivertay...@me.com> wrote:
> First, BBEdit doesn't do backwards live-search.

Hm.  You used to be able to designate the direction of search.  I'd forgotten
this was changed.

> you're screwed if you type the wrong thing
> Second, BBEdit moves the insertion point as you type, even if you delete your
> live-search or cancel it. Thus, if you type the wrong string you have to hunt
> for the spot you started the search from

Ah.  That's what annoys me about that feature...  I knew something about it
bothered me but wasn't quite sure what it was.

One thing you can do to remedy this is set a jump-point before you start typing
in quick-search.  It does seem to me that BBEdit should remember where you
started your search though.

> Third, both Sumblime and Vim optionally accept regex in their live-search.
> (one of the reasons I developed my own script)

I keep requesting this.

There's not a really good regular expression prototyper for the Mac (that I
know of), although there are some that aren't just terrible.

So this feature would serve more than one purpose.  It would expand the
usefulness of live-find and serve as a basic regex prototyping tool.

> Fourth (and I recognize that this is a personal preference), the panel that
> pops down moves the content of the window down 2 lines (to make room for the
> panel).

Yeah.  I've never liked that either.

--
Best Regards,