I misunderstood your previous post -- your solution is better than I
thought at first.  I will give it a go to see how it works in practice.  I
agree that using an existing protocol & daemon is preferable (less work, if
nothing else).  Usually I find that script-based solutions are fragile, and
your comment to that effect made me suspicious.   :)