> "Is searching through DEVONthink in a folder containing only text-files
any better then searching the same folder via HoudahSpot (that you also
mentioned)?"

Yes. the advanced search operators are more sophisticated in DEVONthink:
 https://vimeo.com/47583958

Plus there's a built in intelligence in DEVONthink that helps unearth
unexpected relationships in your text files. It's this 'See Also' feature
that I find the most useful as it's not based on keyword combinations but
rather deep analysis of the content itself. This article has a great
description of the DEVONthink analysis engine:
http://bylr.net/3/2010/02/devonthink-the-research-assistant-youve-been-looking-for/

As for HoudahSpot, it's use's go far further than interrogating a folder of
plain text files but focusing on that one use case scenario, it's raison
d'etre is that it allows you to create very specific search templates that
equip you with rapid access to sophisticated deep queries.

Multi-file Grep searching from within BBedit is yet another killer search
feature available to you.

In saying all this, many will be happy with the built in search
capabilities of nvALT. It very much depends on the size of your notes
database and patterns/connections you're looking to interrogate. Research
is a large chunk of my day job so my workflow requirements probably go
beyond average use case scenarios. :)