Greg, I am glad you brought up that point regarding WordPresss, because this is
something I have been wondering about since last night.

As you already know, AMP specifications outright prohibit certain standard HTML
tags -- such as the font tag — and inline styling in HTML document bodies.
Thus, you have to rely upon div classes instead, which are permitted.

My problem is this:

In my WP blog posts — it is a self-installed blog, not on wordpress.com -- I do
a very high amount of copying and pasting from hundreds of documents which I
create and maintain from within BBEdit. In said BBEdit documents, I employ the
font color tag thousands of times to colorize verse references.

Now, on my actual website, it is very easy to replace those AMP-prohibited font
tags with div classes instead — which I have done by the thousands via BBEdit’s
multi-file find and replace option — because the actual CSS code which
regulates those div classes is contained in the head of the very same HTML
document, as per Google’s and AMP’s requirements.

But how do I transfer that over to my actual WP blog posts?

In other words, if I surround a verse reference with a div styling tag like
this . . .

. . . it is going to be lost in translation, because there are no CSS
instructions telling WP what that div means.

Worse yet, I syndicate to eight social networks. Some of them respect and
properly parse standard  HTML tags, such as the font color tag, for example.
But I doubt that they know what to do with AMP tags and divs.

Facebook doesn’t even respect standard HTML tags. Even though it is the social
network where I most heavily participate, it is the worst culprit when it comes
to parsing my WP posts. It strips out font colors, and even line and paragraph
formatting.

If there is some way to import the exact same CSS head information into my WP
blog posts, that is contained in my BBEdit HTML documents — that is, tell WP,
“Here. Use this CSS style sheet for all of my posts.” -- that would be great.
At least then I could use those same div classes -- which the AMP
specifications accept as valid — instead of font tags in my WP blog posts,
which will not pass the AMP validator’s muster.

While there are some WP plugins to make WP posts HTTPS/SSL compliant, I wonder
if Automattic  and gang have done anything to automatically convert standard
HTML tags over to AMP-compliant tags and divs before post syndication occurs.

Anyway, if you are aware of any easy solutions, please let me know. For now, I
continue to use font color tags in my WP posts, which WP automatically converts
to span styles instead. But I bet even those fail AMP standards.

Kind regards,

Bill K.