Thanks for the quick response Rich. Yes, setting that boolean
RunUsingPython3 "fixed" the problem. But now I can't get bbedit to use my
python 3 installation if I put it in the shebang line. It's clear that
where bbedit once respected the shebang line, now it does not. It seems
like poor practice to teach your software to ignore explicit instructions
right in the script it's supposed to run. Yes it's true that using "Run in
Terminal" will respect shebang, but:

   1. I liked getting a log file right there in bbedit;
   2. this isn't the behavior I'm accustomed to; and
   3. it's inconvenient.

This does not seem like an improvement to me. It seems like a bug. Is there
really no way to instruct bbedit which python installation to use without
setting and resetting system-wide preferences from the command line?

–– Si vis pacem, bellum adflicta. ––