I think the BBEdit behavior makes sense if you're working with indented code.
It allows you to delete the indent without deleting the last word on the
previous line. BBEdit also has a different notion of which characters break
words. Try option-deleting through code like this in BBEdit and another app.

function(){
  call();
}

[fletcher]