> On May 14, 2023, at 11:29, 'Andy Nickless' via BBEdit Talk
> <bbedit@googlegroups.com <mailto:bbedit@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
>
> Something that I've been unable to find out is how to skip searching
> something which already contains a simple pattern:
> For instance, to find a number consisting 1-3 digits I use (\d{1,3}) - but
> how can I AVOID a number of up to 3 digits?

Hey Andy,

It's really necessary to provide proper examples when asking for help with
regular expressions...

One needs to be able to visualize and test with real-world data to be able to
untangle this sort of problem properly.

I can't think of a way using only regex to avoid all of the possible pitfalls –
this example using a negative-lookahead will match only the lines in the middle
block.

__PATTERN__

___TEST DATA___

<strong>1</strong>
<strong>10</strong>
<strong>100</strong>
<strong>2000</strong>
<strong>20000</strong>

<strong>Thank you India</strong>
<strong>Thank you terror</strong>
<strong>Thank you disillusionment</strong>

<strong>Thank you frailty 1</strong>
<strong>Thank you consequence 22</strong>
<strong>Thank you thank you silence 33</strong>

The only way I can think of to manage this puzzle in a bombproof way is to
script it, and I'd probably use Perl for that.

--
Take Care,
Chris

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request
or need technical support, please email "supp...@barebones.com" rather than