> Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 22:18:32 -0500
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<>

>>> I'm not sure what you should expect from the 0xFF values; however, you have
>>> not enabled the LED select stuff in your kernel. If you had, you would see
>>> lines like
>>>
>>> b43-phy0 debug: 64-bit DMA initialized
>>
>> ....if it's supposed to say '64bit' , it doesn't here...
>
> That is a function of your card, not your OS. Mine is 64-bit, yours is
> 32-bit, and others are 30-bit.

....i see...

><>

>> Using kernel menuconfig, one will typically configure networking-->wireless
>> before they get to  device drivers-->LED support. This is unfortunate if one
>> has started the kernel configuration with devices drivers-->led
>> support-->led trigger support
>> unset, as led trigger support isn't displayed in networking-->wireless with
>> this option unset.
>
> Yes, configuration is not a straight-line process. In LKML, they are
> currently discussing changes that would gray out those options that do not
> have their prerequisites met.

....well, that might help...provided the  option still works on a gray option,
and tells the user what the prerequisite actually is that's currently unset.
Otherwise,
a torrent of "what does it mean when an option is grayed out? How do I fix
this?"
questions are likely to be observed....

>> Still stupid human error, I know, but that's how a person gets led into it.
>>
>> Anyhow, thanks for pointing that out, now I get ;
>>
>> b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 410.2160 (2007-05-26 15:32:10)
>> b43-phy0 debug: Chip initialized
>> b43-phy0 debug: 32-bit DMA initialized
>> Registered led device: b43-phy0::tx
>> Registered led device: b43-phy0::rx
>> Registered led device: b43-phy0::assoc
>> b43-phy0 debug: Wireless interface started
>> b43-phy0 debug: Adding Interface type 2
>>
>> The rx/tx LED behaviour is working as expected with the 0xFF sprom values
>> that come with this asus card type....afaict.
>
> Glad to be able to fix a problem quickly. Lately, it has been taking a long
> time. Perhaps the bugs are getting more subtle.
>
> Once again, thanks for the ASUS PCI card. I didn't do very much toward fixing
> the problem, but I was able to confirm that there was really a problem, and
> your difficulties weren't due to your spelling of behavior, the sun being in
> the north, or any other geographic factors.

Not a problem, if only to confirm the problem existed, it was worth it. As to
the speed finding & fixing the issue, I personally thought things happened
pretty fast to arrive at the eventual resolution. I think Stefanik deserves an
extra cookie of credit here for having the idea to substitute sprom images.
Everyone who helped out gets cookies as well for outstanding effort. (;

..next, I can move onto my original notion of using one of these cards in AP
mode...

> I'm particularly sensitive to the differences between British and American
> spelling. I once co-authored a book with another American. It was published
> by Wiley and Sons out of their UK office. The text went in with US spelling,
> but the galley proofs had UK spelling. We dutifully changed them all, but
> that had no effect. In the final version of the book, color was spelled
> colour, etc.
>
> Larry

That is a disappointing outcome -- I'd understand you feeling you're like the
victim
of some form of nationalistic prejudice in such circumstance...ie; if I'd
written a book
adhering to the spelling examples contained in the Australian Macquarie
lexicon, I
would expect what was published still to be in that original form. I'm typically
ambivalent of/to the spelling differences you speak of, so I am truly apologetic
if that stance has upset/affronted you or anyone else on this list.

Regards,

            Donald