On Wednesday 25 June 2008 05:55:25 Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 22:07 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
>
> > I agree that ssb-sprom should be rewritten; however, before that is
> > done, we need to think carefully as to what variables should be
> > exposed for a user. For instance, should antenna gains be brought
> > out?
> > What about antenna enable variables? Is there any reason for a user
> > change these?
>
> The reason would be to fix wrong values.  I believe everything should be
> available.  If there are any specific concerns about specific fields,
> there should be warnings.  If there are chances to brick the device,
> there should be big warnings, or perhaps the entries should have a
> read-only flag.  Anyway, ssb-sprom is not for casual users.

The intention of ssb-sprom _never_ was to be used by users. It is a
development tool. So there's nothing going to get removed from it, nor
are there read-only checks added.
We could, however add a warning to the helptext of the app:
DO NOT USE THIS. YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE.

These threads clearly show that people are using the tool who have
absolutely _no_ clue what the tool really does.

--
Greetings Michael.