On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 16:37 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> Daniel Lenski wrote:
> > Larry,
> > I agree on the ridiculously poor packaging... did I mention they're 1gb+
> > extracted?
>
> I didn't look at what is contained within that package, but we
> certainly don't need it.

It appears to be the complete toolchain used to build the firmware,
complete with a bunch of random binaries floating around.

> > I have not found any other source of these, unfortunately.  I am happy
> > to send the extracted firmware to developers off-list if desired.
> > Linksys's less-than-helpful GPL source code page gives no indication of
> > the age or date of the various files, so it's hard for me to tell which
> > might be newer without downloading many Gb and extracting many
> > firmwares.  I have half a mind to write a Python script...
>
> Not necessary to send the extracted software. If and when I want to
> see the new firmware, I'm perfectly happy to download that big file;
> however, it does not make sense for some user who is using the
> openSUSE script to wait through a large download just to install firmware.

Good point.  I'm not really familiar with the legal intricacies of the
licensing issues involved.  The LICENSE files strewn throughout the
tarball *seem* to indicate that it'd be permissible to cut out the
relevant binaries and distribute them, but I'm in way over my head
here...

> >> I notice in your extraction that there are now ucode files for
> >> revisions 16, 17, 19, 20, and 21.
> >
> > Yes, indeed.  So are these the source of the FW12/13/14/... numbering?
>
> No. Michael assigns a new number whenever he releases a new version.
> All the new files are supposed to be listed with that number. At least
> I think that is the way it works. Version 12 is the last one released.

Hmm... I think we might be talking about two different things.  I'm
wondering about the source of the .id = "FWxx" tags in fwcutter_list.h.

Dan