Hi Peter, Thankyou for your good work. You also asked why do the insects occur in such prolific numbers particularly in hot dry summers?
              Steiner refers to some insects haveing a special relationship with certain plants. He also refers to them living in the astral body of the plant. So one can ask if this relates to the balance of the physical / etheric / astral / ego balance of the plant. Is the insect just reflecting to us what this balance or imbalance is? If this were the case then what might we do about it rather than or in addition to peppering?
About twenty years ago Glen Atkinson busied himself with this question and came up with a mix. (the ingredients proportions and potencies are commercially sensative) He called it pest protection. In the early '80's I lived in Hastings N.Z. and had a large section with a number of apple trees. The fruit was host and home to a vast population of codlin catipilars. If I was lucky I could havest up to 20% without resident catipilars or their vacant homes. Glen offered me some pest protection to try. I applied it at the beginning of flowering and a second application 3 week later. That year we had not one apple infected with codlin but exchanged it for blackspot, a fungal growth. The following year I tried just one Pest protection spray. The codlin moth layed eggs on the cheeks of the apples and I had these funny little bore holes in the sides of some apples. They didn't go right in and if I cut the apple open to investigate I seldom found anyone home, and I still had some black spot.
            A year or two later I tried the same recipy on brasicas. They were sprayed in the seed bed and again after transplanting. The controls with no treatment were eaten to the ribs while the sprayed plants had no catapilars at all. If one took a leaf off and held it up to the light some pinholes could be seen where the eggs had been layed.
              Certainly peppering fills a very usefull role but I believe on first of all needs to ask why any organism has become a pest or a disease. Then what can we do about it?
   Regards,           Peter.