Charcoal is a carbon  - when porous and made into a slurry to be applied to soil it has an affinity for carbon based chemicals i.e. "organic" elements.  Organic compounds will adsorb i.e. attach to the surface area of charcoal and become trapped thus rendering the organic compounds biologically inactive.  I have read where it has been used to try to clean up chemical spills out of soil.

Mary Ann