The caveat is, of course, NO STARING AT THE SUN...

I am aware of one yogic method that says it is not only alright but
beneficial to gaze directly at the sun but for only for a short time in the
morning as the sun comes over the horizon and when the sun sets.

Then, there is this quote from "The Essene Gospel of Peace":
"Follow, therefore, only the laws or your Earthly Mother, of which I have
told you. And when her angels have cleansed and renewed your bodies and
strengthened your eyes, you will be able to bear the light of our heavenly
Father. When you can gaze on the brightnes of the noonday sun with
unflinching eyes, you can then look upon the blinding light of your Heavenly
Father, which is a thousand times brighter than the brightness of a thousand
suns. But how should you look upon the blinding light of your heavenly
father, when you cannot even bear the shining of the blazing sun? Believe
me, the sun is as the flame of a candle beside the sun of truth of the
Heavenly Father...If you believe in the angels of the Eathly Mother and do
her laws, your faith shall sustain you and you shall never see disease."

Chris