>In Winchester, VA, just outside of Loudoun County (where Allan and I
>live), some of the communities feature houses with 800-gallon
>underground cisterns.
>
>These houses were built in the '50s.  Does that mean it was really dry
>back then?  How can we check this?

It doesn't mean that. It most likely means that the houses were being
sold on the GI Bill to guys who were first generation off the farm.
Guys who would only feel secure in a tract house if they were
somewhat self-reliant.

We've had AUSSIE WOOFERS here who spend their first days walking
around the buildings before they finally ask 'How are you harvesting
your rain?'

It's ok, though, Robert. We only drink bottled water anyway!!

-Allan