From: "Merla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 11:49 PM
Subject: Drought/Cistern

> Robert:
>
> Twenty odd years ago, I had occasion to build a 10,000 gallon cistern
> using slipform concrete construction with forms from a Ken Kern Owner
> Builder Book, I can't remember which one.  The form was made with two
> 1/8" x 4' x 3' strips set up with conduit and bolt spacers for a 3" wall

MP: What were the interval distances between the spacers?

> thickness.  It could be used either for straight walls or circular walls
>
> by changing 3/4" plywood templates tabbed to the outside of the steel
> strips.  Mine was for an 8 ft radius.

MP:  So, the plywood's 8' radius curvature is fastened (how?) on the
horizontal plane? ...on one or both sides of the steel?

> On the cleared site, I dug a post hole in the middle filled with
> concrete and a pipe nipple to take a 10 ft high center pivot post 1 1/4
> inches--anything like that, size not important.  A pivot arm 8 ft long
> with a T is slipped over the center post and pivoted on it and a plywood
>
> washer and clamp to support the T, a union on the outer end that mated
> with a union on the leading edge of the slipform.

MP:  How was the union attached to the slipform?...via a pipe nipple through
both sides of the 1/8 th steel?. and at what height of the 3' or 4' steel
sides ?

> Drop a 1/4 mile coil of barbed wire down the center pivot post, resting
> on a plywood disc sitting on top of the T so the barbed wire could be
> dispensed simply by pulling on it.  The center pivot post was guyed from
>
> its top to trees outside the building area.  A trench was cut for a
> grade beam footing 10 inches wide, steel reinforced and 16" in diameter,

MP: I assume you mean this prior to the slipform wall. Did you also use the
pivot to mark out the beam trench?

> with J-bolts protruding from it.  A mortar cart was used to mix a very
> stiff mortar (a motor-driven mixer will not work). You want a dry mix
> you can handpack into the slipform that will stand by itself with the
> slipform is moved ahead.

MP: If i understand correctly you only pack 4" increments at a time. So, why
do you need 3-4' high forms?

The barbed wire is fed in a single strand into