Manfred,

What region are you in?

North Idaho--Sandpoint--the panhandle of Idaho.  My reason for building the
cistern was not drought, but the first winter, my waterlines to my well froze
before Thanksgiving with no snowcover and below zero weather, so if every first
of November, I'd fill the cistern up and have enough water to go through until
spring and then refill as needed through the summer for garden watering and
everything.  My creek was only 50 yards away, but 110 ft down a bank.  I used a
Homelite Chainsaw fire pump that I rented.  It would fill the cistern in about
6 hours at a rental and fuel cost of about $20 each time.

Emulsified asphalt is used on U.N.-sponsored water systems around the world and
is considered safe to 140°F.  I'm still using it today in my present system and
I'm not having problems with it.  It's a water-based emulsin we're talking
about, not a solvent based.

MP: What were the interval distances between the spacers?

2 feet apart and they're pulled out as soon as you finish the top ring you're
doing and reused the next day.

MP:  So, the plywood's 8' radius curvature is fastened (how?) on the
horizontal plane? ...on one or both sides of the steel?

On the outsides of the steel parts of the form with small steel anglebrackets
from the hardware store.  The handles of the form are two pieces of conduit for
the handgrips with the ends flattened and drilled for 8" carriage bolts whose
lower headends pick up the plywood templates.  A small turnbuckle slides up and
down on the bolts to allow fine adjustment of the form width, and when you pick
up the turnbuckles to the handles, it releases the form from the wall, to be
slid ahead and clamped for the next two or three feet.  It goes fast and
doesn't require any skill at all.

MP:  How was the union attached to the slipform?...via a pipe nipple through
both sides of the 1/8 th steel?. and at what height of the 3' or 4' steel
sides ?

It's attached to the plywood template on the leading inside edge of the form by
a 1/2" pipe flange, nipple, elbow, nipple and union, not tight so the form can
pivot in the horizontal plane to stay in line with the wall.

MP: I assume you mean this prior to the slipform wall. Did you also use the
pivot to mark out the beam trench?

Yes, I have a 10" wide one that I used for the grade beams and the hollow
exterior basement walls--3" concrete, 4" wood shavings, 3" concrete.  On a
double wall, you leave the tie strips in place to connect the inside and
outside walls.  I can carry all the form work for the house one to each hand
easily, and the templates can be changed for a straight or any other radius
wall.  It's a handy system.

MP: If i understand correctly you only pack 4" increments at a time. So, why
do you need 3-4' high forms?

The form is only 4 inches high, not 4 feet.  An 8' wall takes 24 days at 4"
height. (From Merla:  Sorry, it was my typo.  It should have read "1/8 x 4" x
3'".  I still have the forms stored outside for 25 years and they're in usable
shape.  The cement coating which stablized on the surface kept them from
rusting.

The original cistern was set 4 or 5 feet into the ground for 2/3rds of it's
circumference.  The remaining wall was open to the slab with a large wood stove
backed up against the wall to warm the water up in the winter.  It makes for a
very even heat and humidity in the house and far fewer sinus infections.

One final word to Robert Farr:  Robert, just start!  By the time you're done
you'll be an "expert" too!  I'm from your part of the country too--Fairfax and
Greensprings.  Many lovely hours on the upper Potomac!