It's a little bit of work but less than mulching by hand.
I dig a shallow trench with a potato plow, then put abut 11/2" of well aged
compost in the trench and lay  the seed on top of that. Then I cover them up
with a cultivator. I think they respond well to the slightly more acidic
nature of the compost and the compost helps with drainage while also holding
moisture in dry spells. I started doing it to optimize my compost use (it
takes a lot less) but continued because it worked so well. As an added plus
the taters come out of the ground like they've already been washed.