Re :Spuds.
Ive used Kristy's procedure, and covered with straw..6". Mice got a little.
but they were sure clean. Most migrated upwards a little into the straw.
I'm assuming you use the method known in some bd circles : that of cutting a
square plug (about an inch square +/- )around the individual eyes of the
seed spud, and tapering decreasingly towards the centre of the spud, thereby
trimming the bulk of the tuber to a minimum. Apparently, the less of the
original bulk is accessible, the more the sprout seeks surrounding nutrient
source. Also, this minimizes rot potential. And there is the leading end of
the spud to consider for preference.
I don't always have time to do them all that way, and i have not been able
to determine conclusively yield/quality differences because of other
variables year - year.
If your round haybales are the same size as the straw ones, 2,3 people
should be able to manage after determining the machine-rolled direction by
peeling a layer or 2.

If not,:

I made a spear out of 1-" pipe, a foot longer than the balewidth, with a
solid welded point in the one end, and a hole drilled through it to
pin-retain a larger diam. pipeflange. On the other end, threaded a 1" flange
onto it. Spear/drive this thru the centre of the bale.
Over these flanges i looped  a rope's-ends by which to pull the bale with
the tractor. It just helps to have someone back there monitoring/ raking off
the right thickness of the peeling layers.
......manfred