Thanks Tom,
I think New Mexico may be like our conditions. We get twenty inches - 500
mm, between April/ May and October. The rain just stops in our spring and
our grain g crops die not ripen. I was in England in their Autumn and
could not get over the headers on the paddock with green flag on the
grain. They are using dryers and we are wishing for rain to finish the
crop. The actual rainfall is not that much different, but the evaporation
is, we have six to nine feet of evaporation. Our soils are mainly highly
alkaline, but mine are slightly acid.

I think the largest area of Pinus radiata forests is in South Australia.
All our housing here is built from it. It grows much better here than at
home.