Hi! Patti,
Welcome to the list.

I am in Port Lincoln, Australia and there are a lot of us from Oz and NZ on
the list.

For most ants, the easiest way is to use Borax. It is a white powder and
sold in supermarkets in the same sort of area as Moth balls, Mentholated
Spirits, Turps etc.

Get a a small plastic container with a tight fitting lid. I use one about
twice the size of match box, sold in sets of several in the plastics section
of the super market. Make a couple of holes, big enough for the target ants,
up quarter of inch or so from the bottom.

Mix half a level tea spoon of Borax with about two or three of honey or jam.
Place in the bottom of the container and seal. Place in an ant trail of the
target specie.

The ants will soon find it and take it home and eat it. It dehydrates the
gut and kills them. The ant typically eats it's own dead, so the small
amount of Borax will kill many ants. It generally takes four to ten days to
wipe out an ant nest. Should another colony take over the same nest before
the soil moisture dissipates the Borax, they will also use it. The small
amount used is not a problem in the soil. The good thing about this method
is that you can take out one target type of ant and leave other useful ones
untouched.

Gil