In my experience it pays to mix all materials going into a compost heap. I
have always retuned between 10% to 25% old compost mixed in with the new
materials. I have often made composts using large quantities of grass
collected in a forage harvester and even when tumble mixed with a bobcat
there was still pockets of silage in the heap. this means that the heap
needs turning fairly soon after the initial setup to get air into them. If
one is hand making the compost  this problem is much easier to avoid.
best wishes,
Peter.