I tried it for three years running with a herd about that size. It worked very well the first year, not so good the second year and the third year dambed near imposible to wean them off. I even had those big calves getting through sevenwire battened sheep proof fences. thats why this calf raising method didn't make it to the fourth year.
Best wishes ,
Peter.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: calves running with the herd

Have occasionally left the odd calf on its mum in the milking herd. Our experience has been very good calves and very little milk.

regards
Ian Buckingham
Maungatawhiri
New Zealand
Subject: calves running with the herd

I milk 150 cows and have been thinking of leaving the calves on the cows in the herd for 3 months but don't know enough about it.  Can anyone shed any light on this at this herd size
Thank you
Kym