Dear Allan, Hugh, etal,

Please Forward,

Recently, Lime and Humus has been a topic of
discussion that provides a basis for further
observation.  First; What is lime?

I think that this is an extremely tough question for
people of the baby boom era(1950+) and
later to answer.  We have been led to believe, for the
most part, that lime comes out of a
bag.  When I first read that Steiner believed oak bark
provided a good source of calcium, it
rolled completely over me like a cement truck. Well,
in the same token, I watched the fields.
Knowing that a prime requirement of legumes is calcium
for proper nodule formulation seemed
like a good place to start.  So anyhow, when store
bought limes are cast onto the soil prior
to pea or bean plant, the growth of these seemed much
healthier(greener, more fruit, etc..)
when in the root zone of an oak tree and not dependent
on bagged lime distribution.

Experiment:

Materials; Clay, lime, sand, water, crushed stone.

Take 2 parts clay, 3 parts sand, 1 part lime, and 1
part stone.  Mix dry carfully, then add
water while continuing to mix until a firm consistancy
is achieved.  If kaolin clay is used
then think about adding a small amount of bentonite as
a binder. If the mix has become too--
watery then add additional lime.-- Once this has set
up and ---hardened, it needs to be -----
--buffed. While buffing, add water until a glaze like
surface is achieved.

In experiments I have witnessed where formulas
attempted to approximate that of Roman cement
hot lime is almost always used.  The heat generated
from the chemical reaction of hot lime
with water during the fusion process is all that is
needed to form the bond.

So then, the question at hand is;  what is the
difference between these 2 forms of lime?
The chemical formula CaCO3 is almost always given for
natural calcium carbonate found in
rocks and soil.  In the case of bagged limes,  the
rock is subjected to the kiln where it is
heated and crushed; driving the additional oxygen off.
  In the question of the calcium pro-
vided by the oaks, it appears that the young form of
calcium there is much more easily assim-
ulated by the plant world.

Looking at these 2 forms of lime allow us an
add-itional window to see into another process
and formulate other questions as to what may be
occurring in the modern world. For example,
what happens when old foundations are ripped up, or
blown apart and dust particles are scat-
tered into the atmosphere?  Perhaps this depends the
point of origin of the lime dust part-
icule and its' ability to enter the jet stream that
circles the globe. However, the very
minute that particle enters atmosphere it begins to
accumulate water.  So, at the point of
origin a dryness in the local atmosphere occurs.

Now if we could imagine that a construction project in
Ti-mbucktoo had kicked up a good bit
of this old lime dust and that this project was
located near the airport, where these part-
icules could ride with the jets stream to enter into
the upper atmosphere.  This is the
point where we can imagine that these particles
continue until they become super saturated
with water and fall in the neighboring country of
Angola creating a devastating flood. Then,
if we could wonder a bit more why Timbucktoo, normally
a wet region is now in a severe
drought.

Michael.
  -