Dear Michael
 your post could be very confusing

Subject: Dor, Drought and Flood was re: lime and humus
Michael wrote >

> Dear Allan, Hugh, etal,
>
> Please Forward,
>
> Recently, Lime and Humus has been a topic of
> discussion that provides a basis for further
> observation.  First; What is lime?
> We have been led to believe, for the
> most part, that lime comes out of a
> bag.
The stuff we use for farming in Australia is called Agricultural lime - its
crushed calcium carbonate from naturally ocurring limestone rock or in some
cases coralitic lime mined from underground deposits that are the remains of
ancient coral beds - still calcium carbonate though - CaCO3 - concrete it
aint! (not in this form).
 In ancient days they burned chunks of limestone rock in pits - lime kilns -
to get quicklime - hot stuff this and very active - Adding water to
quicklime gets slaked lime via a pretty violent reaction - the modern
equivalent of this is your builders lime or hydrated lime - used to be the
bonding agent in bricklayers mortar and plasters of various types. These
days the bricklayer uses some cement to give a stronger joint but still some
lime for ease of working and fluidity and still needed in fireplace
brickwork to stop the mortar from exploding. So the store bought lime is
made for sticking things together and really has no place as a soil
treatment (under most circumstances anyway). Just as you would not use Ag
limestone to glue bricks together! (the house would fall down). These are
two different (tho related and similar looking) materials.

> Experiment:
>
> Materials; Clay, lime, sand, water, crushed stone.
>
> Take 2 parts clay, 3 parts sand, 1 part lime, and 1
> part stone.  Mix dry carfully, then add
> water while continuing to mix until a firm consistancy
> is achieved.  If kaolin clay is used
> then think about adding a small amount of bentonite as
> a binder. If the mix has become too--
> watery then add additional lime.-- Once this has set
> up and ---hardened, it needs to be -----
> --buffed. While buffing, add water until a glaze like
> surface is achieved.
Great!  this is exactly what you would expect to happen from using
bricklayers lime but its not the same stuff that we would spread on our
soils!
I think we need to get this basic stuff correct in peoples minds before we
go flying off into the stratosphere.
Cheers all
Lloyd Charles