If the rules say that you can't spray CT on food crops for 120 days
before harvest, then they are talking about foliar feed.  They are
worried about I. coli which forms in anaerobic situations  in CT where
there is too much food for the organisms (molasses) and too little
aeration getting on food that is going to market.

The participants in the CT list/serve are talking about their CT makers
in terms of their ability to clean them well and quickly and in terms of
getting not only bacteria, but a balance of bacteria and fungi.  There's
so much to understand.

I would say that the NOP standards apply only to "Certified" organic
growers.  But certified organic is supposed to be the highest standard
in the U.S.  If they are so worded that they exclude the use of CT, then
really they aren't useful for organic farmers because 24-hour CT as
conceptualized by Elaine at Soil Food Web, Inc. makes organic much
better.  This is why Elaine's lectures around the world are so
important.  A lot of organic growers don't really know anything about
what is actually going on in making compost--only that raw manure is
prohibited.  They have the rule without the understanding, and could
easily have anaerobic conditions in their compost pile to start with.
Elaine is writing a guide for understanding compost making.  That ought
to help matters.  I surely do hope she can reach mainstream organic
growers.  If people do listen and understand instead of just following
rules, then there shouldn't be any trouble.

  There also must be a difference between a cow pie you pick up in a BD
pasture and the stuff that comes out of the kind of confined conditions
that exist in feed lots.  This does not help matters.

I found Will Brinton's analysis of 500 to have limitations.   His
analysis of 500 doesn't tell me why it enlivens the soil.  It only says
that 500 is not raw manure.  But how do BD compost and 500 work
together?  Has anyone ever been able to analyze the process or is it too
esoteric?