Hi! Per Garp/NH,
Has it occurred that you may not have a suitable site for what you want to
do?

By this I mean would it be better to obtain a more suited site?

If you are stuck with the site:-

Hard pan usually means several things are involved. Clay, not enough soil
carbon, reduced soil biota activity, lack of air/ oxygen in the soil, water
saturated soil for at least part of the year, not enough calcium in the
soil, heavy traffic, either machinery or stock on wet and depleted soil.

Clay has the ability to cling together and form tough blocks. Great for
making adobe or pise houses. Increased soil carbon and increased soil biota
will help, but in the short term use one to four tonnes of gypsum to the
hectare, will break the clay and allow water penetration and largely break
the pan without ripping. If you trench, you will most likely loose your soil
into the lower regions and bring the clay to the surface. It will also tend
to make a place for water to lay and rot the roots. I would not do it. Try
gypsum first.

Soil carbon and soil biota activity are inter-related. In Oz we have very
low soil carbon and are for ever looking for ways of adding carbon. Coal
dust from a coal washing facility/ some fly ashes from power stations,
composts of high carbon materials etc can be used if available. With all
these it is most important to have enough nitrogen in the soil to allow the
soil biota to use these. Growing legume cover crops is the best way to do
this. Do not get sucked into chemical nitrogen, most of it is not in a form
the soil/ plants can use. Other wise it is a matter of growing as much cover
crops etc and allowing it incorporate. This may be just mowing and allowing
to lay on top, or incorporating with tillage. If chopped finely and sprayed
with the compost preps, they will break down and enter the soil surprisingly
quickly. My preference is low till/ no till. To get the soil biota going,
some dilute molasses or other sugar sprayed in the cut cover crop with the
preps will really help.

Soil oxygenation will tend to come with the use of gypsum and improved soil
carbon and soil activity. One can use a chisel plough, but I prefer to let
the soil biota do it.

Water stagnation may be site related, but if it is related to the pan, it
will improve as the effect of the above comes into play.

Calcium will come from the application of gypsum. The test for enough
calcium is to walk around in really wet weather. If you have to clean your
boots to get in the car, you do not have enough calcium, so add more gypsum.

As far as traffic impacted soil, try and keep the loading as low as
possible, particularly when wet. Also I note that the soil does not compact
as much if the full BD cycle is carried out.

Gil