----- Original Message -----
From: COYOTEHILLFARM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 1:19 AM
Subject: Re: Perfect Orchard

Hi Gil and all
->One can not create a hard pan in sand, gravel or loam<-
Our hardpan was created when our part of the would was a part of the African
continent and the plates was under water for millions of year's ? (words
from our university people)
Most of the Eastern US have this stuff.

Gooday Per Garp
                              I live in a different part of Australia to Gil
and we have no trouble finding hardpan in sand, gravel or loam soils,
usually at shallow depth, cultivation to break it will work, but if the
basic chemistry and microbes are not taken care of it will quickly reform -
usually at the bottom of the new level of cultivation - so all that ripping
does in the long term is drive the hardpan further down the profile. If you
intend to rip (or dig trenches) you need to do a soil test of the subsoil (a
full CEC test with all trace minerals) to make sure that you are not going
to expose yourself to more problems in the form of chemical imbalances that
are in the subsoil (accumulated Boron and high Sodium would be two that I
would look for in southern Australian soils). If the mixed soil will make a
decent soil test then its OK to proceed but there are often problems in the
subsoil that are better left undisturbed.
 You should probably read some of the acres eco farming books (Phil Wheeler,
Arden Andersen) If you have low calcium soil, Lime is needed to restore the
CEC balance and you will need a carbon source to hold and activate it. Get
the soil critters working for you but remember that like you, they work best
with food, water,air, and a comfortable home.
Cheers
Lloyd Charles