Manfred, I have stored carrots with no problems under heavy mulch (about 1-1/2 ft of
eelgrass/seaweed - but hay is used more commonly) through winter. Here we don't
usually get consistent snow cover, so the roots have been easily accessible through
winter. If you get snow or ice over them, it's harder to harvest - but even then the
roots seem to come through in good condition.  There are lots of deer and rodents
around, but I haven't had them go through the mulch.
Unfortunately, this year the carrot bed got flooded for four days, so I pulled
everything and kept it in cold cellar.  No experience with beets/swedes.
Nancy G.