Hi Manfred:
Yes a pit dug in the ground, not freezing,so they would be subject to the
forces of the earth over the crystallization period (Jan l5-Feb15).
Similar to the horn remedies. Although the earth is warmer in the winter
than during the summer and seems to be warmer every year so what results one
would get here I am not sure.
As to which seeds would survive freezing it would likely be those that need
cold stratification(echinacea, flower seeds and some others that I don't
recall presently) and possibly those which are larger and not so subject to
freezer burn. Yes freezing does more closely follow the natural cycle(during
this time period) but anything which is either frozen or heated could lose
some of those forces inherent in nature. With grass seed the freezing would
no doubt have made it better as we are looking at seed which is closer to
the wild stock. I would guess that your friend used the fridge.
By intentional grid we have a place for the seeds which is under devic
guardianship and yes have asked the Seed Deva to hold and protect her
bounty.
Black root Salsify grows in abundance here and we don't collect those seeds.
You will often find me out pulling that plant close to blooming time so I
don't end up with seeds in the window screens.! Guess I should be cooking it
and saving the seeds too? Judging by its numbers, even after my pulling, it
is a survivor with an incredible seed dispersal mechanism.
Short note on "anything frozen or heated.." This would apply more to the
highly domesticated seeds and foods. The wild ones don't need any
management.
Thanks for the good questions. We hear it is minus 44 in Ontario. True?
Major crystallization!
Blessings,
Barbara and Woody
Aurora Farm. the only