Hugh Lovel (we miss you, Hugh) has pointed out in the past that an over
abundance of ants indicates a formic acid imbalance in the soil and that
their presence can be seen as nature's attempt to correct it.  I'm
wondering if anyone has found a way to help this process along--by
supplying some formic acid precursor, a cell salt, a homeopathic?  My
rather primitive method has simply been to try and figure out what the
ants need and feed it to them--it seems always to be either sugar or
protein--and if that doesn't work we just agree to co-exist.  But then
they're not causing me any great losses.

An ant story: Last winter some of my houseplants were exuding an
unpleasant sticky substance (no aphids though) that created quite a mess
over time.  This was completely taken care of by the tiny little sugar
ants that came in the spring and meticulously cleaned up every last one
of them.