From: Deborah Byron [mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:13:59 -0600
Subject: mean spirited

Speaking of citizen groups vs. the poultry industry, a group here (using
out of state lawyers, I might add) is suing the big poultry producers
regarding the public health hazard caused by arsenic--which enters the
soil via chicken litter spread on fields and then becomes airborne in
dust.  There has been an unusually high rate of pediatric cancer cases
recently in small farming communities and one thing that investigations
revealed were extremely high levels of arsenic in school air filters.
Now why, you might ask, would arsenic be used in poulty houses.  The
anwer: its put into the feed because it promotes faster bleed-out in
chickens when they're processed.
And then there's the featherless chicken, developed courtesy of Israeli
researchers.

Not long ago an arts center here advertised a mural design contest that
would capture the local esprit. I envisioned a giant godzilla-sized
rooster scratching, pecking and rampaging its way toward Tyson Foods
headquarters.  Oh well, maybe in devachan.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com