----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 2:47 PM
Subject: water consumption

Can anyone give me some hard data on reduction of water requirements on Biodynamic land?

would be appreciated

aye

Hamish Mackay

Hamish - how to measure this? There are an awful lot of variables!
Our local wheatgrowers group (crop check) uses a water use efficiency calculation thats easy enough to do if nobody cheats, basically it tells us that wheat will (should) do from 15 to 25 kg per hectare per millimeter of growing season rainfall, there is a simple formula but it assumes an accurate and honest (sometimes a problem) estimate of stored moisture in the profile, and no cheating on the rainfall records. This works in a high input cropping situation but I prefer simpler comparisons.
I was discussing this sort of thing with one of our Queensland cattlemen yesterday - he commented "since we started BD we have gotten extremely casual with bloat - have not seen one animal with a blown side for two years - we just turn em in the pasture and dont worry about it" my return to that was if BD did nothing else it would be worthwhile just for the bloat prevention. That would be something worth focussing on and easy to document.
Cheers
Lloyd Charles