Hugh
Now let's take this example and go through it tagging all the little components of the process with "earthly forces, cosmic forces, earthly substances, cosmic substances." For example, nitrogen feeds/builds the human head and its activities, so it must come from the soil.

So we have to look for the substances and forces coming from the head / soil as a double process not a single one
What is Silica coming upwards and what is Calcium coming upwards???
Physically we have all sorts of Cations - Ca Mg Na K etc these are  diamagnetic  elements and therefore can be seen as part of the Earthly substance.
WE then have anions in N, P, S etc as well as paramagnetic elements which would be seen as the physical Si or Cosmic force elements
Energetically we have forces coming from the Earth upwards too
The "Cosmic forces" / outer planet 1 forces  are those that carry the archetype of the the plant upwards, in doing so they thrust the plant upwards and work on the strength of the cell wall and the basis for the  silica structures of the plant
The "Earthly substance'  activity are the calcium process inner planet 2, that are active in germination and cell division ie the number of cell devided, and physically are concerned with the development of amount and quality of the tissue structure in the plant.
The quality of this Earthly Substance / Calcium process working in with the cosmic foces / Si process determines the structural quality of any plant as it grows into space.

We off course can talk about how if the Cosmic Forces dominate we get tap roots, if the Earthly substance dominates we get the ramified roots and so on.  If the Cosmic Forces do not move upwards as they should then the stalks are weak, there is no archetypal impulse for the atmospheric Silica / Earthly forces to hook on to to allow for flowering, let alone seed formation or for fruit to blow out.
If the Earthly substance /Earthly Ca is not active then the plant tissues are weak, undernourished and therefore break down and rot easily. This is the rot of Ca in fungal control. Cell division is not great and so the fruit does not have many cells to be filled out by the mass devlopment of the  Atmospheric Ca / cosmic substance.

Oxygen feeds/builds the limbs and their activities so it must come from the air. That is because--as Steiner so cogently pointed out--we must develop our head organization out of what we take in from eating (earthly, below ground stuff like lime, phosphorus, nitrogen), while we develop our limbs and metabolic system out of what we take in by breathing (cosmic, above ground stuff like oxygen, carbon, sliica).

So in the above ground limbs, where is this a two fold process
The Oxygen with its inherenet association to the etheric body  provide at least a partial hint.
In the metabolism we need to look for the Cosmic substance and Earthly forces.
The Oxygen you mention as the the mass developer coming from our breathing, is the homeopathic calcium RS mentions in the atmosphere, which does the same thing. This is all the plant potentised 'susbstance' that the plant has exuded out into the atmosphere via transpiration. Callum Coates so eloquently describes this process in 'Living Water'on pg 220?? or there abouts when he talks about the flow of water through the plant. He describes how the water comes to the soil with its atmosphereic N, exchanges this for cations which are taken up into the plant. As the water spirals thru the ever decreasing 'veins'of the plant, the elements are taken out of the water while in turn the water is potentised via the vacuums created by the spiralling. Hence the water then carrys the activity of the substances it once carried. This is transpired into the atmosphere, hence becoming part of the World Etheric activity carried in the atmospheric moisture we experience as dew. It is then drawn into the plant again both through the stomata and also directly by the plants 'personal etheric body', This is the Cosmic Substance / Calcium process and  by itself develops MASS. Left to itself it creates emorphous 'fat' forms. I have a 50 meter long row of lettuces, with each 3 meters sprayed with a different homeopathic substance. When you visit I will show you the ones sprayed with the Cosmic Substance elements and you can see for your self, what I mean. They look like they have been over done with Nitrogen except they are not blue green. They tend to a light green colour and no flavour. The etheric body is maxed out. If the atmospheric cosmic substance is not active fruit does not swell through cells filling out
The Earthly Forces work in the atmospheric Silica which are primarily active in the light and warmth of the environment. The light and warmth are needed to bake the Si and Ca coming from below and the Ca from the atmosphere into a plant that will be lifted up into seed formation and nutrition. Without this light and warmth of the atmosphere everything stops. Plants dont flower, Seed does not set, fruit does not ripen, skins do not harden and nutrition is not achieved. In the plant the Earthly forces create the quality of the skin of the fruit, the etheric oils, the sugars etc. The cosmic matter ie Cos Ca, will not do this. Size but no flavour.

So we need all 4 of these processes working to get a complete plant. All plants, use these 4 processes in one way or the other. These are the basic practical manifestations and I am sure you can add more details to these basic activities. Each plant would have to be looked at individually to show how each does it but these are the basic activities.
 I am not sure how to give you more practical examples and I am sure I have said all this before. Hopefully seeing the plants sprayed with various substances will make it more real for you, if this info does not. How are other folks going with this, is it as clear as mud to you too?

Hugh
It looks like we will have a few days together when you are in NZ. So I look forward to discussing this and continuing our gyroscopic chemistry discussion.

cheers
Glen A