I needed a couple of RS232 ports for my BBB. However there seems to be a
shortage of RS232 capes in the world, Farnell is quoting over a month
delivery time.
But they had CAN-BUS capes in stock, and that's the same PCB. So I got a
couple of CAN-BUS cards and made the following modification:

Moved the 0ohm jumpers from R1,R2,R38,R39,R48 to R26,R27,R42,R43,R49
Mounted C12-C16 plus the U4 transceiver chip.

So now I should effectively have a RS232 Cape on UART1.

Except there seems to be some kind of board id in the little I2C EEPROM
that sits on the cape.

The documentation at http://elinux.org/Capemgr has a link to a System
Reference Manual, but the link is dead.

So... questions:

Is there any utility to write to the cape EEPROM?
What is the correct boardname to store in the EEPROM for the RS232 cape?
Anyway to make the OS use the UART as a serial port without modifying the
cape EEPROM?

/jesper