Thank you Gary, brilliant!
That made it simple to alter the partnumber and get the correct dts loaded:

(I didn't bother to change the board name :-) )

bone_capemgr.8: slot #0: 'BeagleBone CANBUS
CAPE,00A0,Beagleboardtoys,BB-UART1'
bone_capemgr.8: loader: after slot-0 BB-UART1:00A0 (prio 0)
bone_capemgr.8: slot #0: Requesting part number/version based
'BB-UART1-00A0.dtbo
bone_capemgr.8: slot #0: Requesting firmware 'BB-UART1-00A0.dtbo' for
board-name 'BeagleBone CANBUS CAPE', version '00A0'
bone_capemgr.8: slot #0: dtbo 'BB-UART1-00A0.dtbo' loaded; converting to
live tree