I'm running BBB on 13.04 Ubuntu.

I wonder about the files in dir /var/log which increase in its size
steadily. I'm curious if there is some mechanism for backup/delete, etc.

E.g. kernel.log fills several days and several restarts, same applies for
dmesg, although there are zip-files. Does the system itself keep track that
the log-file is automatically truncated after a specific time? I'm curious
cause I didn't find anything in the crontab nor did I find any hints in the
lograte-conf-files. Do I have to keep an eye on it?  (If so any
recommendations? I mean, most of them I don't really need, except there is
a problem which I would notice immediately.)

Its currently not a big issue, cause the files are not THAT big. But when
they start growing ...