Seth - did you ever get an answer to your question?  I'm having a similar
problem.  My custom .dtbo files (located in /lib/firmware and loaded using
enable_partno in uEnv.txt) do get loaded eventually, but only after a 60
second timeout.  I'm wondering if enable_partno isn't a good idea for
firmware that isn't compiled into the kernel, and if you should load these
files using /sys/devices/bone_capemgr*/slots after boot instead.  I see
that there's a config option that allows you to override the 60 second
default, but it isn't clear to me if this can be set without a kernel
recompile.

FWIW, this functionality worked without delay prior to a round of patches
over the last few months.