On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 2:29 AM, leo mayer <leo.ze...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running on Ubuntu 13.04 and I'm curious how the time-sync is working
> behind the curtain. The reason for asking is sometimes after powering up the
> BBB there is no network-connection available. Therefore it takes some
> stored/saved (?) time from somewhere. So my questions are:
>
> 1) Can I launch the ntp-update after the boot when the network is ready?
> i.e. don't execute before the network-connection is established. I guess I
> have to configure some init-scripts, but I guess at well they should already
> be there (from Ubuntu?). Since I don't wanna reinvent the wheel, I am
> curious about some hints. For the Angstrom-distro I have already a working
> config, but not for the Ubuntu.

ntpdate is installed by default, so if you have a network connection,
it'll eventually update on it's own..

> 2) Trying to track down the place from where the time/date is taken in case
> of network-failure I couldn't figure it out. The above mentioned place
> doesn't work, cause my date after launch is later then THAT /etc/timestamp.
> So, it must be taken from somewhere else. Any hints?
> a) The reason for asking is that I am curious if there is already a process
> running which writes the time on regular basis in that file. I didn't find
> anything in the crontab and guess I have to do it by myself. Anyway, as
> mentioned above - I don't wanna reinvent the wheel and ask in advance - just
> in case...

Nope, nothing that advance.  When i create the image i set
/etc/timestamp with the current time..  So for end users it'll be at a
most off by a few months, instead of 3 decades.. (in the ballpark)

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/