Starterware is what you want works on white google the group for those who
ported to black if you like pain

You will need need the gel file ported for black DRAM differences or you could
try using uboot to do init and change the linker to run out of internal RAM

Bare metal allows you understand what happens after reset best you will be
given the start.s and a GUI based compiler free called CCS

I suggest unless broke buy the white its under $100 and the jtag is usb based
via FDTI

keep in mind starterware is supported by E2E TI forum(someone paid by TI has to
answer your post up to point) this groups focus is more Linux but there are
post in here

You made the first right choice ie start with the basics how much pain is $95
BBW worth to you

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/StarterWare

Good Luck

On Saturday, October 19, 2013 1:10 PM, David Goodenough
<david.goodeno...@linkchoose.co.uk> wrote:

On Saturday 19 Oct 2013, Satz Klauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to do some bare-metal programming with the BBB (mainly for personal
> reasons and to play with hard realtime environments, so please do not try
> to soften me up to use Linux ;-)
>
> As a first task and to get a feeling for the hardware I'd try to access the
> LEDs (configure the GPIOs they are connected with as digital output and
> write 0/1 to them).
>
> My question: is there a getting-started-guide for this?
>
> Or to go more in detail:
>
> - I already found the CPU manual at TI's pages
> - I found a compiler arm-none-eabi-gcc - is it the correct one?
> - I still need header files where register addresses for the CPU are
> predefined
> - I still need a description how to download my created binaries to the
> board so that they are started immediately (instead of the Linux-Distro)
>
> Any Ideas where I can find these things?
>
> Thanks!
Try looking at the PRU, this is a real time co-processor in the chip and
so you can have linux do the normal stuff on the normal processor, and do
the real time GPIO stuff in the PRU.  It really is bare metal, and there
is (currently) only an assembler for it (I think I read somewhere that
a C compiler was on the way).

There are lots of links to the relevant materials if you use your
favourite search engine.

David